Get a Card
You may register for a library card in person at the library or online. In person cards will be issued same day and may be used for all services, though some limits for new users are applied.
Please note that online cards are temporary–once you have applied, you will get a temporary number that will allow you to place books on hold. To get your physical card and permanent number, come to the library within two weeks of applying. Please bring your photo ID and proof of address (either your ID or a bill).
- An FDPL card is free to any Iowa resident.
- Adults 18+ must show valid photo ID with current address. An official document (such as a bill) dated within the past 30 days can also be used as proof of current address.
- Adults 18+ residing in a shelter, correctional, or treatment facility must also provide a letter from that facility.
- Teens (14-17) must show valid photo ID with current address if a parent/legal guardian is not present.
- Kids (0-13) must have a parent/legal guardian present. Parent/legal guardian must show valid ID with current address.
- Residents of communities in the BEACON Consortium must register for a card at their home library.
- For the first 60 days new cardholders may borrow:
- Any combination of up to five (5) items from books, magazines, audiobooks, and music CDs
- One (1) DVD
- Report a lost card immediately so it can’t be used by others.
- The cardholder is responsible for all items on the account until the card is reported missing.
- Lost cards may be replaced for a small fee with proof of ID.